Dyal Singh College owes its origin to the extreme generosity and foresight of Sardar Dyal Singh Majithia, founder of ‘The Tribune’, Punjab University and ‘Punjab National Bank’, who willed his vast wealth in 1895 for the setting up of an Education Trust for a truly secular college. Consequently, Dyal Singh College was established at Lahore in 1910. After the Partition of India, Dyal Singh College was established in Karnal and in 1952 at Delhi. It started functioning in the capital at Rouse Avenue as a constituent College of the University of Delhi w.e.f 05.08.1959 and at present location since 16.10.1962. During 1963-1967, it functioned in 2 units from 8.30 am to 4.30 pm. It was taken over by the University of Delhi as a University maintained institution in 1978.